26 (40%)
3 stars... alright
19 (29.2%)
2 stars, not that good
5 (7.7%)
1 star, terrible
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: 1x17 - Stare Master  (Read 15588 times)

February 26, 2011, 04:33:48 AM
Reply #25
The cutie mark crusaders enter a talent contest? What talent? They epic fail everything they try in this episode!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

February 26, 2011, 05:22:59 AM
Reply #26
Teen Girl Squad

I feel like I've asked this before, but...what the heck is Teen Girl Squad? Is it referencing a show, tvtropes, or what? XD

February 26, 2011, 05:23:33 AM
Reply #27
Actually, the Cutie Mark Crusaders weren't the thing I disliked about this episode at all. In fact, if you read what I put down before, their antics were indeed cute and fun to watch. No, my main issue with the episode was that nothing really happened for at least half of it. It was Dragonfly without the awsome dragon and interactions between the main characters being explored. Not everyone dislikes this episode just because of the CmC, nor should "OMG SOO CUTE" be a decent excuse for poor pacing and bland dialogue. Apart from the hammer thing, I can't think of a single memorable line.

February 26, 2011, 05:31:49 AM
Reply #28
Actually, the Cutie Mark Crusaders weren't the thing I disliked about this episode at all. In fact, if you read what I put down before, their antics were indeed cute and fun to watch. No, my main issue with the episode was that nothing really happened for at least half of it. It was Dragonfly without the awsome dragon and interactions between the main characters being explored. Not everyone dislikes this episode just because of the CmC, nor should "OMG SOO CUTE" be a decent excuse for poor pacing and bland dialogue. Apart from the hammer thing, I can't think of a single memorable line.

Was this comment directed at me? ; n ; I was honestly just skimming through a lot of people's responses (I did read most of them before I posted though, but I can't remember what everyone individually said) so I was mostly stating all the fun reasons why I liked the episode to balance out a lot of the negative stuff people were saying... (Even if it's probably not one of my favorites. I know my little sis will love it and by little I mean year and a half younger than me, but still)

Though I will say that the lesson was a little odd. Yeah, people shouldn't bite off more than they could chew, but technically Rarity did that when she offered to make a bunch of dresses AND re-do them and then having to make a dozen of each later on XD So even if that wasn't one of the morals in suited for success...it was kinda there XD

February 26, 2011, 05:32:27 AM
Reply #29
Though Honestly? I thought this episode was fine, in an adorable, "this takes me back!" kind of way.

For one thing I grew up with 2 sisters, and when we were really young we'd be just as hyper and rambunctious as the Cutie-Mark crusaders (to the dismay of our parents) though after a while it was more me and my youngest sister who were a tag-team ball of annoying :P (We were closer to the same age and my eldest sister was about 4 years older than me)

THANK YOU.  I think this episode is probably lost on people who didn't grow up with same-age same-gender siblings/don't watch kids/don't have kids/etc. 

So it was kinda like watching her interact with 3 younger-selves. It was amusing!

I have three big brothers, the eldest who is almost nine years my senior.  His personality is "I am so normal.  I am trying way too hard to be so normal.  What last name?"  The second and third brothers are, if I think about it, mixtures of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.  All were easy to drive crazy when they babysat. 

Not to mention when I saw Twilight turned to stone? At first I thought "lol I bet that's not really her"

But then when I saw Fluttershy's reaction, I was like "OH SH-"

Then I saw the snail crawl along her and I thought "NIGHTMARE FUEL"

My thoughts exactly!

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT, Y'ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR NOT LIKING SWEETIE-BELLE'S SONG (well okay, not ashamed, but wtf why does everyone hate swinging and/or Gospel-inspired music?! NOBODY LIKED THE MUSIC IN HERCULES OR THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG BECAUSE OF THE GOSPEL AND THIS MAKES ME SAD-FACE  :'(

I loved it!

The cutie mark crusaders enter a talent contest? What talent? They epic fail everything they try in this episode!

HEY, HEY, HEY!  That's exactly the point!  You be nice to talentless little girls! 

February 26, 2011, 05:38:39 AM
Reply #30
@Draggle- ffff glad you agree ; u ; You got a point though; if I showed this episode to my sisters they'd probably love it or get a kick out of it, but anyone else who didn't have siblings/siblings their age/gender/didn't have kids probably wouldn't get it and find it annoying XDDD

February 26, 2011, 05:41:07 AM
Reply #31
Was this comment directed at me? ; n ; I was honestly just skimming through a lot of people's responses (I did read most of them before I posted though, but I can't remember what everyone individually said) so I was mostly stating all the fun reasons why I liked the episode to balance out a lot of the negative stuff people were saying... (Even if it's probably not one of my favorites. I know my little sis will love it and by little I mean year and a half younger than me, but still)

Though I will say that the lesson was a little odd. Yeah, people shouldn't bite off more than they could chew, but technically Rarity did that when she offered to make a bunch of dresses AND re-do them and then having to make a dozen of each later on XD So even if that wasn't one of the morals in suited for success...it was kinda there XD

No? Not particularly, I was trying to get across the fact that not everyone dislikes the episode just because they don't "get" the whole CmC thingy or that I dislike them. I'm one of the few people who liked Call of the Cutie! I just don't care for this ep from a more technical standpoint. I don't even hate this episode, I do actually like parts of it!

February 26, 2011, 07:34:39 AM
Reply #32
I didn't find the hammer bit all that amusing; it certainly struck me as very surprising they didn't make some sort of lesson about kids not playing with tools or what have you.  The fact that the "friendship lesson" of biting off more than you can chew was forced in and not really expanded on.  It's not like Fluttershy made any real attempts to curb the children (poor writing), and it's not like it was actually more than she could handle in a fairly blase way in the end.

I've certainly no issue with the CMC, and I certainly don't have a penchant for the main cast to base an opinion on the episode based on that; I just didn't enjoy the writing or the pacing: going from daytime to essentialy one scene of running around, then it is night, is not well conceived.

For me it was definately the worst episode, but as I previously stated, that doesn't make it a bad episode, especially in comparison with the competition.  Sweetie Belle revealing her innate power of summoning back up singers was certainly entertaining.

February 26, 2011, 08:56:14 AM
Reply #33
Not the best episode, but still entirely watchable:

Cons:
-The CMC. The girls are like salami, peanut butter, and bubblegum. Each are enjoyable by themselves, especially Applebloom, but they are three good tastes that go horrible together.
-Unimpressive villain. Props for the continued use of Greco-Roman themed opponents, but that is not what I picture when I think "cockatrice"...I'm closer to this...also, a traditional cockatrice only used this attack in defense, but, hey I guess that wouldn't work.
-The "moral" of not biting of more than you can chew. An adult with normal healthy mental faculties should be able to look after three preteen kids at one time. I appreciate what they were trying to say, but they went about it wrong.
-Where is Spike? Seriously, one more episode without him and I'm calling for a search party.

Pros:
-A Fluttershy episode! :)
-Although not done correctly, still, props for the cockatrice!
-Twilight getting, errr..."stoned". Extra points for the snail trail for extra disfigurement and traumatizing of the CMC.
-Fluttershy staring down the cockatrice while being turned to stone. Awesome!

As said, not the best episode, decidedly mid-pack . Still, high quality animation and enjoyable characters.

February 26, 2011, 09:07:24 AM
Reply #34
I feel like I've asked this before, but...what the heck is Teen Girl Squad? Is it referencing a show, tvtropes, or what? XD

KIND OF A show...it was something that's on Homestar Runner

http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgsmenu.html

UGHHH SO MANY MEMORIES ;__;

February 26, 2011, 09:35:27 AM
Reply #35
I watched this episode last night and watched it again this morning. Admittedly my personal rating of this episode is slightly higher now the second time around. The Cutiemark Crusaders are the kind of characters you either love or hate, but kudos to the creators and writers who managed to not only managed to make believable child characters but also bring back Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle while giving them actual personality. Other high marks for me included:

The fact revealed that Sweetie Belle and Rarity are sisters.

When Opalescence swipes at Sweetie Belle's mane.

The look on Rarity's face when she realizes Sweetie Belle used her gold silk.

The prominence of Fluttershy in this episode, because she honestly needed more.

The fact that the "dangerous creature" looks a lot like a Final Fantasy black mage.

Hammer! Hammer! ... Hammer! Hammer! ... Hammer! ... Hammer!

Fluttershy's face when she says, "I'm the world champion. I bet you can't beat me."

Fluttershy's lullaby even if she gets out-staged in a gospel style version by Sweetie Belle.

The assumption of Fluttershy's part that being good with animals means good with kids.

I could go on, but the highlight for me was Fluttershy staring down the cockatrice and being her badass self even when her lower half is being petrified.

February 26, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
Reply #36

This isn't a best episode but it's a good one, it shows a lot of Fluttershy in it. I always wanned to see what is she like. And really wanned to see what's inside her cottage, not just main room. AND what the! She lives near Everfree Forest :O 

Thats probably the most scariest thing I saw this year ???  I love Twilight Sparkle so mush that seeing that scene broke my heart :C

I also say, that those girls is a NIGHTMARE!

I got two nephews and it's terrible when they gets together D:

February 26, 2011, 11:40:44 AM
Reply #37
Hurp durp Dusty's late to the party %B

I really enjoyed the episode! I like the little girls because they seem like real little kids to me. I love how big the cast of characters who get screen time is getting!

When it was getting towards the end, I was starting to think we might get a two-parter because the next episode is supposed to be about the kids too. Aw well! I was impressed with the stone Twilight. XD It's a bit morbid and her shocked expression makes it look like it was painful, but not HORRIBLE. Like they say in Monty Python, she got better! I'm glad this show isn't always butterflies and gumdrops, it's little girls wanting to be heroes and DOOM CHICKENS.

THE END
I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights!

February 26, 2011, 12:05:50 PM
Reply #38
Not the best episode I agree, but I enjoyed on two points:

1: The Cutie Mark Crusaders were cute and funny as hell, and it was ncie to see the other two from Call of the Cutie being introduced properly.

2. It was about FLUTTERSHY. Ay more air time she gets is fine by me, and it's goood to see her timid character devloped more, especially the whole 'bad-ass when it counts' thing, as a counterpoint to her absouloytely adorable terrified squeaking.

Also, poor Twilight! I was mrie thinking, 'it's a good thing they did sneak into the forest, as if they hadn't, what would have happened to her?'

Fluttershy [TM] Authenic Brand of Approval (c) Mad Pinkie Science Industries

WHAT TIME IS IT? PARTY TIME, THAT'S WHAT

STOP BUTCHERING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

February 26, 2011, 01:00:35 PM
Reply #39
The "Shhh" game.  I know I've played that with my little sister before. lul

That was a cute ep.  The Cutie Mark Crusaders are pretty cute.  I'm interested in seeing what they'll eventually have as their cutie marks.   I wonder if they'll all share a similar one.

February 26, 2011, 01:07:34 PM
Reply #40
kinda hoping they get their cutie marks in the next ep tbh.
PONIES

February 26, 2011, 01:43:38 PM
Reply #41
Also is it me or Applebloom almost turned into Tommy Wiseau immitating chickens?

February 26, 2011, 02:43:45 PM
Reply #42
kinda hoping they get their cutie marks in the next ep tbh.
I have my doubts if they will get their cutiemarks anytime this season. The G3 Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo have a pink heart with a swirl and a pink/orange butterfly respectively so we'll see if they do end up getting something similar or completely different. With a name like Apple Bloom I'd expect an apple blossom.

February 26, 2011, 03:42:09 PM
Reply #43

It's a reference to one of the series on Homestar Runner. Applebloom is cheerleader, sweetie-belle is so-and-so, scootaloo is what's her face, and twist is "THE UGLY ONE!" Although Scootaloo and sweetie-belle may need to be reversed in their roles if I got it incorrect.

I started using it for the CMC when I saw a picture portraying them as such on /co/ after call of the cutie.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:22:54 PM by amatsubu »

BANNED

February 26, 2011, 06:27:19 PM
Reply #44
I have my doubts if they will get their cutiemarks anytime this season. The G3 Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo have a pink heart with a swirl and a pink/orange butterfly respectively so we'll see if they do end up getting something similar or completely different. With a name like Apple Bloom I'd expect an apple blossom.
Well they can't really drag on this cutie mark stuff for too much longer IMO.  I think they need to wrap it up... I do wonder what Apple Bloom's will be though.

February 26, 2011, 07:50:39 PM
Reply #45
I have to say this is one adorable episode!! Even though it's not as awesome as last week's, its still great.

I like the badass Fluttershy!! The stare....The stare!! Lolz!!

Also, the CMCs are not that bad. In fact I like em!! And Sweetie Bell being Rarity's little sis was cool! And the Cockatrice.....really surprised me, seriously!!

One thing though, how come Twilight went alone in the forest? She knows better....

February 26, 2011, 11:54:39 PM
Reply #46

Plenty happened in this episode.  First, we find out Sweetie Belle is Rarity's sister, and Rarity can't manage her.  Sweetie Bells screws everything up.  We find out Rarity's cat doesn't like her, or anyone BUT Fluttershy.  The CMC gets uniforms.  Fluttershy offers to babysit.  Twilight has grown comfortable enough with Zecora and the Everfree forest to venture there alone.  Fluttershy discovers the kids are more than she can handle.  We get to see the dynamic of the CMC for the first time ever really.  We have 2 whole new characters we've only seen briefly before (More happened in this episode than happened in Ep 1, part 1, if we're going to say character introductions don't count as major happenings), we find out Sweetie Belle can belt tunes, we see Fluttershy use THE STARE, and we realize she's got some badass in her (although she can't control its timing).  That's the first half of the episode.  A LOT happens.

I dug the pacing too.

February 27, 2011, 05:18:42 AM
Reply #47
What Blokeman means by the lack of anything really happening, is that it is largely blase exposition to force the story along.

Clearly, things do "happen", we aren't looking at a blank screen; but your extrapoloation of events is very similar to me saying that in Call of the Cutie, a unicorn pony painting with its mouth instead of its horn is something that happened.  Yes, it did happen, but it does not stand out from the episode or provide a narrative point.  I imagine the issue here is how much value Blokeman attaches to each scene, or his feelings toward a full 5 minute scene inside Rarity's room being used only to set the premise for the show.  I wonder if he cringed as much as I when "Bitten off more than you can chew" was repeated in isolated ways in often unnatural conversational positions.

Finding the initial scene indicating that Sweetie Belle is Rarity's sister is imparted knowledge, but is in of itself a non-event; the fact that Rarity can't handle her was, of course, given it was done by pratfall and chaos.  Twilight comfortable with the Everfree Forest?  This is largely inferred, rather than something that "happens", and in fact, it is something that largely doesn't happen, as it is a plot device inserted then not expanded on in of itself.  We knew she had developed a relationship with Zecora in previous episodes and it's not even a Chekhov's Pony.  It's a 2 minute scene to establish a plot device later in the episode, and reitterate what is already established in regard to CMC and Fluttershy.  What in truth is being said by Blokeman is how much value he attaches to each of the events that happened, and how superfulous they may be.

Largely what you have to accept here is that we are different, and that it is our opinions that the episode is slow to progress amongst other things; my personal feelings being that the dialogue was nowhere near as fluid and well constructed as other episodes, and you could have had the exact same plot progression but made it more engaging.  I found it very boring for the most part.  Now, of course your opinion is different, but our opinions weren't quoting and responding to someone else.

What do you consider the worst episode so far?  This by a big enough margin for me to say it without competition, is my least favourite episode.  I was actually disapointed by it, I imagine because the last few episodes have been so strong in my opinion.

Still, I certainly enjoyed the 4chan reference, the song, and the aforelinked youtube quote regarding seeing a cock-a-thingy face to face~

February 27, 2011, 08:33:48 AM
Reply #48
What Blokeman means by the lack of anything really happening, is that it is largely blase exposition to force the story along...

...my personal feelings being that the dialogue was nowhere near as fluid and well constructed as other episodes, and you could have had the exact same plot progression but made it more engaging.  I found it very boring for the most part.  Now, of course your opinion is different, but our opinions weren't quoting and responding to someone else.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at in the first place, although Flash Heart did a much better job expressing it. If people love this episode, then good on them! I just wish I did.

February 27, 2011, 10:36:41 AM
Reply #49
I don't suppose "to each his own" will do?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage