26 (40%)
3 stars... alright
19 (29.2%)
2 stars, not that good
5 (7.7%)
1 star, terrible
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: 1x17 - Stare Master  (Read 15587 times)

February 06, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
Reply #125
Watching it right now.  I don't hate the CMC here even though I feel I should.  It comes down too much to perspective for me to feel so strongly about it.  If you hate children, you'll hate that they're acting just like most children.  If you love children, you'll love that they're acting just like most children.  I can hate them but I can't fault them.

August 13, 2012, 02:45:10 PM
Reply #126
I just watched this video about, and whe he got to the part about the Staremaster, I felt like I had to share it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSK-o5Dwz10" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSK-o5Dwz10</a>

Like geez, that always bothered me, too.  Twilight could have been left like that, for who knows how long, and nobody would have realized it!  I mean, yeah, search parties are possible, but that would only come up after she's been gone for like, what, a few days?  There are so many weird creatures in the forest that could have easily broken her or permanently damaged her while she was left in stone.  Not ONLY was it lucky that Applejack went into the forest to go after the CMC and discovered her, but it was also DOUBLY lucky that she managed to get the cockatrice to turn her back so quickly!  I mean, hell, even excluding ALL of that, the snail crawling across her face is so freaking disturbing, I think I had nightmares about it! :o

August 13, 2012, 05:53:00 PM
Reply #127
I never really thought about it before, but I guess he's right. Twilight was actually dead there for a little while. Creepy...

October 04, 2013, 09:58:42 PM
Reply #128
EqD post on Star Master:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/1766-days-of-pony-stare-master.html

I know a lot of people who despise this episode.  I dunno, I actually like it, though it's not like I don't see why they'd hate it...  well, except a certain someone who thinks the song, as well as everything written by Daniel Ingram, is "chicken scratch", I don't know WHAT'S wrong with him...  But yeah, the usual complaints, the CMC's antics, the "pointless song", the Fridge Horror of Twilight being turned into stone, none of that bothered much much at all...  except for Twilight turning into stone, even when I saw that the first time, it terrified me.

I just like Fluttershy, and the CMC never got on my nerves, even though I didn't really like how hard they were pushing Fluttershy.  People also call out "the stare" for being an obvious deus ex machina.  I dunno, I think it's reasonable for Fluttershy to have an ability like that.  Not to mention, everyone would be screwed if it didn't work, plus it's not like it came out of nowhere, it was set up throughout the episode.  It's even in the title, so yeah, don't really see it as much of a problem.

I've heard people call the song "pointless"...  but a.) that's not true, because the song is what woke up the chickens, which lead to Elizabeak running into the forest, which lead to the CMC going after it, which lead to Fluttershy saving them AND Twilight who I'll get back to momentarily and b.) my rule with musical shows/movies/whatever is that the song needs to either be relevant to the plot (which it is, to a degree) or sounds good (which...  well, I liked it, particularly Fluttershy's rendition).

Now for Twilight...  Seriously, think about it: if the CMC and Fluttershy HADN'T gone into the forest, Twilight would have just remained in stone, for who knows how long.  YES, I KNOW Twilight's friends would have gotten worried if she didn't return and sent out a search part or get Celestia to find her, blah blah blah (Celestia isn't that reliable, though, given how little she does as it is), that doesn't change the fact that it would STILL take a while for the ponies to realize that she's missing, and inbetween that time, she could erode, get covered in moss, Hell, a fucking snail was crawling across her in this episode, that slim could leave residue, it's so disturbing the more you think about it!  So I don't...  and given how people don't seem bothered by this, I guess they don't either.  Sorry if I got a little heated back there, I got into an argument about this episode with someone on another forum, who seemed pretty insistent on debunking some of the points I was trying to make.

But yeah, I enjoyed this episode, and I'd gladly watch it again.