Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 4x09 - Pinkie Apple Pie  (Read 8941 times)

December 27, 2013, 10:09:22 PM
Reply #50
Okay so I was kind of close.
Basically a clan is just a group of family united by longstanding bonds. I guess you could link this to rednecks but "group of people united" isn't necessarily restircted to the deep south trailer parks of USA.

The term clan has existed for thousands of years, most notable in the British isle were, to the best of my knowledge, the term originated.  Tartans are actually unique to individual clans and would mark individuals as members or in the case of those that wore no tartan, clan-less individuals.

Yeah, that's one bit of fanon that has never seemed even slightly likely to me.

Well we're talking about the family that produced Pinkie Pie...anything is possible. :P

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

December 27, 2013, 10:11:04 PM
Reply #51
I never read the book, actually, though I have heard it was good. Much better than the movie, I believe.

Pretty good. I was quite the fan back in the time.

There are five sequels now, published at exponentially increasing intervals and of ... quite unsteady quality. At their best points there's some fairly nifty worldbuilding in them; at their worst there's glacially (!) slow-moving plots, shamelessly Sueish protagonists and, um, some passages that set new standards for how long and dull it is possible to write a sex scene.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:11:40 PM by Henning Makholm »
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

December 28, 2013, 08:24:14 AM
Reply #52
Apple Clan.....OK I am sorry but that sounds completely redneckish to me.
Hey, i'm not the only one.
They're apples to the core, ya know?  :ajustfine

December 31, 2013, 03:47:39 PM
Reply #53
Just noticed a different long synopsis over at EqD:

If that means they are to (even as a possibility) be first cousins, we may learn a lot of interesting things about Applejack's immerdiate ancestors ...
OC descriptions here

December 31, 2013, 03:58:26 PM
Reply #54
Pinkie Pie is the time traveling grandaunt to granny smith

Snowy Flanks

January 10, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
Reply #55
A sneak peak from Entertainment Weekly:

http://family-room.ew.com/2014/01/10/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-pinkie-applejack/

And a sneak peak from MLP's Facebook page:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Mjy6z1cFw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Mjy6z1cFw</a>

For the first clip, I'd like to see the set-up to that scene, particularly how she knows that scroll relates to her family tree...  But yeah, Hasbro owns Jenga, nice shout-out there, I suppose...  Also, Pinkie's faces at the end! XP  As for the second clip...

...You know, I never really cared much for the "-licious" meme that came after Tara Strong did her "Twilightlicious" thing.  When she did it, I was kind of "eh" about it.  When I saw the animation based on it, I thought it was cool.  Then I saw the Fluttershy one, and I thought it was kind of cute.  Then came every other "-licious" thing after that, and it's turned into my most hated MLP-related meme since "Scootaloo's a chicken".  Which is not to say I don't appreciate subversions or creative uses of a particular meme, like Rarity's take on it (the fact that it's Tabitha St. Germain in that video made it all the more awesome), but everything else is just a slog...  And to see it in the actual show...  Yeah, since the show's been confirmed for a fifth season, I'll say it here: Meghan McCarthy, Jayson Thiessen, writers and storyboard artists at DHX, please, please, please, please, PLEASE tone it down on the in-jokes and references!

January 10, 2014, 01:56:03 PM
Reply #56
Pinkie is right, family history rocks

Snowy Flanks

January 10, 2014, 05:27:33 PM
Reply #57
And to see it in the actual show...  Yeah, since the show's been confirmed for a fifth season, I'll say it here: Meghan McCarthy, Jayson Thiessen, writers and storyboard artists at DHX, please, please, please, please, PLEASE tone it down on the in-jokes and references!

See that's were I seem to differ from most ponies cause I never get tired of memes. :monster:  Anyway, I live for moments like this, though it's amusing that Apple Bloom spells map rather than her name, I guess she's...Maplicious. :lol:

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

January 10, 2014, 08:38:30 PM
Reply #58
See that's were I seem to differ from most ponies cause I never get tired of memes. :monster:  Anyway, I live for moments like this, though it's amusing that Apple Bloom spells map rather than her name, I guess she's...Maplicious. :lol:
To me, and to a LOT of people, memes are like references in...  pretty much any given "parody" movie or video game or whatever made these days (particularly by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, who I credit for starting this trend); basically, the joke is based solely around the reference.  There's nothing clever or insightful about it, it's just "this is a thing, LAUGH AT IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!"  Not to mention, SO many people seem to miss the point about it, and think that they can just reference something and expect everyone to laugh their fucking asses off, despite the possibility of there being a group of people who don't get it or have never heard of what you're referencing to.

Certain references can work, like Fluttershy disguised as a tree in Hurricane Fluttershy; sure, a LOT of us will get the obvious (and "Scootaloo is a chicken" level annoying) reference to Over a Barrel, but the joke still works because it's a funny visual gag.

I suppose in this case, it's not THAT distracting, since anyone who doesn't get the reference can just think she's doing a cute song or whatever, but I've seen them pull this reference crap before.  The most glaring examples, for me, are in the Equestria Girls movie, where Rainbow Dash says the word "awesome" to the point where she genuinely sounds like a parody/Flanderized version of herself...  and her "so awesome" face in that movie is...  genuinely creepy. :o

So yeah, here's hoping they tone down on it.  Too many insider jokes can alienate certain audiences, especially those who aren't impressed with that kind of crap.

January 11, 2014, 07:59:06 AM
Reply #59
The song is very good. I really liked the song.

January 11, 2014, 09:30:55 AM
Reply #60
Wow, Pinkie has impressed me more in this minute than any of the previous three seasons.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

January 11, 2014, 09:32:33 AM
Reply #61
I want to see all the mane7's geneology, is RD the daughter or Celestia, I must know

Snowy Flanks

January 11, 2014, 09:33:45 AM
Reply #62
Damn, missed the opening again.
OC descriptions here

January 11, 2014, 09:34:47 AM
Reply #63

January 11, 2014, 09:35:23 AM
Reply #64
Did no one actually check the paperwork.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

January 11, 2014, 09:37:19 AM
Reply #65
Granny's face is priceless

Snowy Flanks

January 11, 2014, 09:41:03 AM
Reply #66
I just realize how little of the lyrics I heard.

January 11, 2014, 09:41:54 AM
Reply #67
This song is a lot funnier then that last ones have been

Snowy Flanks

January 11, 2014, 09:42:48 AM
Reply #68
Well, finally a song with an actual tune to it.
OC descriptions here

January 11, 2014, 09:43:34 AM
Reply #69
This episode is looking more cuter than most of the other episodes. Also I'm loving Apple Bloom here.

[/spoiler]

January 11, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
Reply #70
It is OK Jackie, yelling at family members is a part of being family

Snowy Flanks

January 11, 2014, 09:45:19 AM
Reply #71
So far I think the episode isn't bad. I like it so far.

January 11, 2014, 09:45:56 AM
Reply #72
Well, finally a song with an actual tune to it.

This is true....

January 11, 2014, 09:46:39 AM
Reply #73
Why is AJ so determined to not show frustration like Pinkie can't deal with it.

January 11, 2014, 09:47:19 AM
Reply #74