Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: 4x03 - Castle Mane-ia  (Read 9538 times)

December 04, 2013, 02:37:19 AM
Reply #150
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/unicon-2013-panel-writers-room.html

"Meghan was very gracious and acknowledged King Sombra's lukewarm reception in the fandom. She confirmed he was Killed Off for Real, and admitted he was her least favorite character she'd written"

Sombra ain't coming back dudes. :monster:

Whoa! I have to say I kinda respect them for going there, surprised as I am. I like having closure on lingering questions like that. So.... sometimes the Elements send you to the moon, sometimes they encase you in stone, and sometimes they blow you the fuck apart.  :nmmlaugh

December 04, 2013, 03:52:59 AM
Reply #151
Whoa! I have to say I kinda respect them for going there, surprised as I am. I like having closure on lingering questions like that. So.... sometimes the Elements send you to the moon, sometimes they encase you in stone, and sometimes they blow you the fuck apart.  :nmmlaugh
Actually the Crystal Heart blew him up  :monster:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

December 04, 2013, 06:01:54 AM
Reply #152
I also like that smile as well.

No! It's completely freaky and off-model -- like a lot of the other smiles (and frowns) in the episode. Why are they hiring animators who don't fucking know that a pony's mouth is NOT WIDER THAT ITS MUZZLE when viewed directly from the front?

Also, I L-O-V-E front-on pony heads!

Sure, if only this episode didn't have half of them drawn like the castle was filled with ultra-fast-acting mutagens ...
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.

December 04, 2013, 07:24:18 AM
Reply #153
No! It's completely freaky and off-model -- like a lot of the other smiles (and frowns) in the episode. Why are they hiring animators who don't fucking know that a pony's mouth is NOT WIDER THAT ITS MUZZLE when viewed directly from the front?

Sure, if only this episode didn't have half of them drawn like the castle was filled with ultra-fast-acting mutagens ...

I don't think the show has ever really stuck closely to actual equine anatomy. Certainly not when it comes to facial expressions.

December 04, 2013, 08:06:57 AM
Reply #154
I don't think the show has ever really stuck closely to actual equine anatomy. Certainly not when it comes to facial expressions.

I'm not talking about real equine anatomy, obviously, but about the character model for the show. Here's how smiling ponies usually look from straight ahead:

OC descriptions here

December 04, 2013, 08:43:48 AM
Reply #155
I'm not talking about real equine anatomy, obviously, but about the character model for the show. Here's how smiling ponies usually look from straight ahead:
There is however a few times this has strayed for comical effect. Such as Lesson Zero.

:CrazyTwi2: :fsohgosh :CrazyTwi3: :CrazyTwi1: :rdpissed :ajpokerface :Twicrazy1: :Twicrazy2: :Twicrazy3: :ppwooooow

(So this just made me realize we have 2 of each of the Twicrazy emotes... Wonder why that is...)
Discord: https://discord.gg/rbwFqKK ♥ Steam: Greenganon

[/spoiler]

December 04, 2013, 08:49:59 AM
Reply #156
Liked this one!  Josh made a better first impression as a writer than Merriwether or Corey did.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:50:51 AM by Bronymian Rhapsody »

December 04, 2013, 09:49:54 AM
Reply #157
You... Know this is a cartoon right? The animators have room for a bit of creative freedom if they so desire. There's no need to get so aggressive over something this trivial.

December 04, 2013, 12:38:52 PM
Reply #158

Wait, you mean that critters that look more like deer than horses aren't sticking close to equine anatomy? Mind blown.
Now I pulled myself together, had a little chat
With my empty bottle, and this little cat
He'd been hiding, he'd been there for a while
Well I told him how I missed you how you made me feel
And even though that cat wasn't real
He cheered me up and he made me smile

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.”
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
Missy Dizick

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."
Ancient Proverb

December 04, 2013, 01:06:18 PM
Reply #159
Yeah, exactly, I think I'm more upset about the squandered potential then the actual execution.  He LOOKED like he could have been a badass villain, I mean, any villain with a "fear door" has to be doing SOMETHING right.
Yes, Sombra certainly had potential as an antagonist. 

I take issue with his awful character design though... ugh!  He looks like the Ultimate Bad OC, with all the gray and black and red, and the purple-plasma-floating-from-eyes-for-the-heck-of-it look.   His head bothers me too - it's hard to tell what's supposed to be armor and what's supposed to be his mane.  Are they cheek plates or muttonchops?   ???
I mean, at one point his crown is blown off and the cheek plates (I think?) go with it, but the black piece on the bridge of his nose remains.  WTF?  It's just a very sloppy design overall.  A viewer shouldn't have to speculate on basic design components like... the face.  Or the attire. 
“Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness.”
~Pearl S. Buck

December 04, 2013, 05:45:49 PM
Reply #160
Yes, Sombra certainly had potential as an antagonist. 

I take issue with his awful character design though... ugh!  He looks like the Ultimate Bad OC, with all the gray and black and red, and the purple-plasma-floating-from-eyes-for-the-heck-of-it look.   His head bothers me too - it's hard to tell what's supposed to be armor and what's supposed to be his mane.  Are they cheek plates or muttonchops?   ???
I mean, at one point his crown is blown off and the cheek plates (I think?) go with it, but the black piece on the bridge of his nose remains.  WTF?  It's just a very sloppy design overall.  A viewer shouldn't have to speculate on basic design components like... the face.  Or the attire. 

Um yeah it was pretty obvious the crown was the pointy metal part on his head and the thing on his face was just colouration on his body.  Also the eyes with was connected to the dark magic he used. :-\

...Thus Equestria Girls is canon, so...

"We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."
- Master Willem

December 04, 2013, 08:43:45 PM
Reply #161
I never mentioned the crown.  And what horse has things that look like angular plates on the bridge of their nose?  Even evil unicorns.  With a bridge piece that looks like armor (but isn't) and cheek plates that look like hair (but aren't), I wouldn't call those aspects of his design "obvious."  If he simply had a different colored mane, it would have stood out better.

Anyhoo.  Sombra isn't relevant to "Castle Mane-ia," so I'mma stop now.   :monster:
“Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness.”
~Pearl S. Buck

December 04, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
Reply #162
I appreciate you stance, but I still think it's cute...  And it's way more appealing then this:

THAT is just weird, awkward, and kind of creepy.

December 04, 2013, 10:28:44 PM
Reply #163
I appreciate you stance, but I still think it's cute...  And it's way more appealing then this:

While I personally find that screep cap insanely cute, I do have to agree it is kind of creepy at the same time.. I'd say uncanny valley but I know that's the improper term, it just comes to mind.

I can't unsee the nostrils though. Every single time we have a pony facing the screen, their nose looks like it's an angry face.

December 04, 2013, 11:37:16 PM
Reply #164

December 05, 2013, 12:01:38 AM
Reply #165

Whell, that's the exact one I think reappeared again and again in "Castle Mane-ia" ... to the extent that it bothered me even in the first viewing.
OC descriptions here

December 05, 2013, 12:59:01 AM
Reply #166
Whell, that's the exact one I think reappeared again and again in "Castle Mane-ia" ... to the extent that it bothered me even in the first viewing.
Well, this particular smile popped up a few time sin Castle Mane-ia, but the image in my original post was NOT the same smile.  Take a closer look next time.

December 05, 2013, 12:09:37 PM
Reply #167
Waited until the actual broadcast date to watch, just avoided spoilers...  :o

Pity they missed Nightmare Night by an entire month.  :(

Overall, I had fun watching it, though I'm not sure how much replay value it has. I mean, it's got that old-school Scooby-Doo thing going on, but some things were very predictable, like Pinkie playing the pipe organ, since she'd been AWOL since they left Ponyville. (As a storyteller myself, I tend to notice things like that almost too easily for my own enjoyment of some tales...) Pity they couldn't have had her play any classic Castlevania tunes while she was at it, but legal hurdles I suppose...  :-\

As for the Pony of Shadows? Hooded-looking figure, glowing yellow eyes:

"Hello? I thought I heard somepony here.
Guess this old castle has tricked my ear..."  :zhmmm
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:14:27 PM by shadesmaclean »
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

December 05, 2013, 08:50:24 PM
Reply #168
I think they just recycled the old hooded Zacora model for this and you shouldn't read into it that it's Zacora cause...why? ???  I mean if it is her then why even bother since nopony saw her and she didn't really effect anything. :-\

- Master Willem

December 09, 2013, 10:13:33 PM
Reply #169
I'm REALLY late in commenting on this, but I just watched this video by DigiBrony, and since it goes into establishing opinions and first impressions in addition to talking about an episode, it's something I REALLY wanted to share.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPi38xcojzM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPi38xcojzM</a>

I seriously love his comments about opinions, since it's something I've been deeply struggling with for a long time...  Also, hearing DigiBrony complain about "stuff he CAN hate about [Castle Mane-ia], it not only reminds me of myself, complaining about series continuity, and being annoyed by minor things, but it's also...  rather startling since DigiBrony is usually such a chill guy.

August 31, 2016, 03:50:33 PM
Reply #170
I'm rewatching and gotta ask, think Celestia built traps and secret passes in her new castle as well?

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.

August 31, 2016, 06:25:25 PM
Reply #171
I'm rewatching and gotta ask, think Celestia built traps and secret passes in her new castle as well?

I don't think so since that was more when she and Luna where little or at least younger and with Luna banished she's probably not want the reminder.  She might have started adding them after Luna came back though.

- Master Willem

August 31, 2016, 09:15:01 PM
Reply #172
I don't think so since that was more when she and Luna where little or at least younger and with Luna banished she's probably not want the reminder.  She might have started adding them after Luna came back though.

Well she did move and build a new castle rather than rebuild the old, unless the new castle was already built?

Thanks to Deaconator for my sig.

I need help with a actionscript in flash 8 wanna help visit. http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,15172.0.html

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,18035.0.html - NEW ANIMATION please check out and give feedback.