Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 17292 times)

April 27, 2013, 07:53:33 AM
Reply #50
Just ordered the books myself, they got cheap enough.

So it will come when Amazon allows along with a Warcraft book.

April 27, 2013, 07:57:42 AM
Reply #51
I only own the books on Kindle because I know that I'd end up frustrating myself buying the actual physical books, since I can be a bit mad about wanting them to all look the same as part of a complete "set", but even with the publisher giving the books new covers to tie in with the TV show (which is something I never like to see), I just know that by the time the sixth and seventh books are out they will have inevitably changed the cover designs again...

Maybe in 2076 or whenever Martin has finished off the series, I can buy a nice boxset of all the books with nice matching covers!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

April 29, 2013, 08:16:42 AM
Reply #52
Has anyone watched the new episode yet? I'm really excited for this one as it has the Jamie bathtub scene.

Is it totally obvious that I love Jamie and Brienne's storyline? Oh well. Whatever.

April 29, 2013, 08:41:13 AM
Reply #53
I tuned it - not bad. They do cram a lot of storylines into each episode, don't they.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

April 29, 2013, 12:10:32 PM
Reply #54
I only own the books on Kindle because I know that I'd end up frustrating myself buying the actual physical books, since I can be a bit mad about wanting them to all look the same as part of a complete "set", but even with the publisher giving the books new covers to tie in with the TV show (which is something I never like to see), I just know that by the time the sixth and seventh books are out they will have inevitably changed the cover designs again...

Maybe in 2076 or whenever Martin has finished off the series, I can buy a nice boxset of all the books with nice matching covers!

This is how I always buy books for this reason. I like having the entire collection fit together in some nice way by how their covers and such are all organized neatly, so when I buy books I tend to just read them at the library until the entire series is out and buy them all.

Has anyone watched the new episode yet? I'm really excited for this one as it has the Jamie bathtub scene.

Is it totally obvious that I love Jamie and Brienne's storyline? Oh well. Whatever.

I saw it! That was a very great scene too. The episode had lots of character building, twas great. Though the ending of that scene confused me.

I tuned it - not bad. They do cram a lot of storylines into each episode, don't they.

They do, isn't it magical? :lol:

April 29, 2013, 12:20:37 PM
Reply #55

They do, isn't it magical? :lol:

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

April 29, 2013, 12:21:24 PM
Reply #56
Appleshy in response to your question.

April 29, 2013, 12:40:12 PM
Reply #57

Appleshy in response to your question.

May 02, 2013, 03:32:27 AM
Reply #58
I watched episode 5 with Sully yesterday, that ending.  :-X

To love another person is to see the face of God

May 02, 2013, 05:29:46 AM
Reply #59
Watched it too at last.

May 02, 2013, 07:43:38 AM
Reply #60
I'm actually rather interested to know what people who haven't read the third book, think is going to happen next in the series.

May 02, 2013, 09:21:58 AM
Reply #61
I watched episode 5 with Sully yesterday, that ending.  :-X

Watched it too at last.

I'm actually rather interested to know what people who haven't read the third book, think is going to happen next in the series.

Heh, I've sort of given up hope of predicting what happens in this series cause it seems to always be wrong and something completely unexpected always happens, that's one thing I love about the series.

But if I had to make some predictions, I'd say that:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:30:46 AM by AppleShy »

May 03, 2013, 03:26:41 AM
Reply #62

That's just my speculation though. :-X

May 03, 2013, 04:26:18 AM
Reply #63

That's just my speculation though. :-X

May 03, 2013, 05:35:30 AM
Reply #64
Not laughing! Won't say whether you guys are right or wrong since it would spoil things!

Wendy, why do you haaaateee Brienne so muuuuuuuuuuuch?  :lol: I basically like her because she is awkward and insecure but still tries to do the right thing. Something I relate to a lot. That and she is a Knight in a world which looks down on her for it since she is a woman. Ughh Feast of Crows genuinely made me cry because it goes into her past and how people treated her for not being traditionally feminine.
That and she is super innocent and naive to a Sansa degree, she falls in love easily (yep she falls for Jaime) and believes the world can be good and moral, which gives her a very nasty surprise later on.

I dunno I always loved Brienne. She is a good character that struggles in a world that is mostly full of cruelty.

May 03, 2013, 09:04:30 AM
Reply #65
Hmmm, an sich I don't have too much against Brienne, she won't be my favourite character but eh. It's just that their whole romance feels too 'A Cinderella story' and other similar high school movies plotline to me.  :monster:

May 03, 2013, 09:58:01 AM
Reply #66
If you don't mind being a little spoiled about their relationship

May 03, 2013, 11:44:38 AM
Reply #67
I do. Not clicking that.  :monster:

My opinions might change, this is just how it feels to me now.

May 03, 2013, 12:01:04 PM
Reply #68

May 03, 2013, 01:07:29 PM
Reply #69
Haha, yes, I thought that too! But then again..

May 03, 2013, 01:18:32 PM
Reply #70
Haha, yes, I thought that too! But then again..

On the topic of Brienne, I've actually read A Clash of Kings (and the first third or so of A Storm of Swords) and I know that there she is portrayed as a much more sensitive and sympathetic character whereas that has been less prevalent in the show. At the moment I feel that the focus is on developing Jaime's character but I feel like they will develop Brienne alongside him, and we've already seen a bit of that... Brienne is changing Jaime's outlook on things but at the same time, I feel like Jaime is changing Brienne. I don't have any special attachment to Brienne's character - at the moment, going purely by the show, my only connection to her is as a viewpoint character to witness Jaime's transformation - but I'm enjoying their storyline and looking forward to seeing where it's going.

May 03, 2013, 03:20:48 PM
Reply #71
Brienne's development is more towards becoming a more confident person and becoming less naive and innocent about the ways of the world. Brienne is basically a more action oriented Sansa in some ways. They both want to believe very badly that good things happen in the world to good people and that happy endings happen, but they don't and they both get a wake up call from that.

Plus Brienne works against a man's world despite the constant misogny thrown her way and abuse. You've got to respect her for that. Jamie helps her develop into someone who understands that bad things happen to good people and karma doesn't really exist. But it makes her stronger and more determined.

Anyway Brienne gets her own POV in Feast of Crows and it's then that you truly understand her (obviously) and I wouldn't understand anyone who didn't sympathise with her in that book honestly.

And it's funny because I find most tv show watchers LOVELOVELOVE DANY but I honestly can't stand her. Tyrion is ok and a good character but I've never truly understood the overwhelming love he gets either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:22:31 PM by AJ Vay »

May 03, 2013, 03:31:14 PM
Reply #72
And it's funny because I find most tv show watchers LOVELOVELOVE DANY but I honestly can't stand her. Tyrion is ok and a good character but I've never truly understood the overwhelming love he gets either.

I don't love Dany nearly as much as a lot of people do... I think her storyline is pretty cool because I like seeing Essos and all of these exotic locales that are so far removed from the typical "European medieval fantasy" setting of Westeros but I have a love-hate relationship with her character at best. I quite liked her in Season 1, but then that stuck very closely to the book (aside from her relationship with Khal Drogo having a more rape-ish undertone in the show, though it got better) but found her annoying in Season 2 and it could go either way for me in Season 3; I've liked her so far but I get the suspicion - and this is just purely my own speculation - that her storyline has already "peaked" for this season.

I guess I am kind of a weird hybrid when it comes to whether I'm a book or TV show fan; while I've decided to focus on the show for now and to watch and enjoy that as a self-contained entity, I was introduced to the franchise through the books and I read A Game of Thrones before I'd ever seen one episode of the show. I have sympathy with both sides of the coin really. My stance on the adaptation is that as long as it stands alone, works well and conveys the same general message, then I'm happy with it. Some characters are portrayed a little differently but I've not seen anything on the level of what they did to Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films at least.

May 03, 2013, 03:39:44 PM
Reply #73
WE DON'T TALK ABOUT RON WEASLEY IN THE FILMS.

:ohgosh: :ohgosh: :ohgosh: :ohgosh: :ohgosh:

May 03, 2013, 03:48:29 PM
Reply #74
That being said I don't think it is a bad adaption but there are some things they do that make me wonder WHY. I guess I can't complain too much though as George R R Martin writes usually one episode of each season. He is writing episode 7 of this one which makes me want to do a jig for reasons I can't disclose (yeah it's a Jamie/Brienne heavy one whatevs).

And I liked Dany in the first book but since then she just gets under my skin. She's like a reverse Sansa. XD