Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda  (Read 38490 times)

March 07, 2017, 03:31:44 AM
Reply #1150
I am enjoying Breath of the Wild A LOT. I am having a total blast playing the game. However I disagree with the perfect scores, I don't think games with a consistent and obvious frame-dropping issues should get perfect scores.

I fully respect Easy Allies for giving it a 4.5/5, dropping the .5 because of the technical issues. And the reviewer himself is a massive Nintendo/Zelda nerd, so it's not like there's any anti-bias going on.

March 07, 2017, 05:24:26 AM
Reply #1151
BOTW is just too good. I don't think we can go back to non-open world Zelda at this point. :P I played it for like, probably over 10 hours yesterday and I'm still pretty damn addicted. I really think we could be looking at one of the best Zelda games in a loooooong time.

I only have two minor gripes with it so far. The frame drops (they haven't been too bad for me so far, but they exist) and horses. Horses, they're probably good for immersion and if you don't play with fast travel, but the fact that they can't be called from anywhere and don't teleport with Link makes them more of a hassle most of the time. Not to mention that they get caught on random bits of geometry and get stuck quite often and lack Link's versatility with being able to climb and use the sailcloth. Often it seems to be just straight up faster and more efficient to use Link.

On the other hand, I totally pimped my horse out and now it's awesome. :monster:

March 07, 2017, 06:55:34 AM
Reply #1152
Oh yeah, there was a huge chunk of time I spent without my horse because of the fast-travel system. Only reason I saw my horse again at all was because I came across another stable to reclaim it, otherwise it would have been ages before I could be bothered going back for it where I had left it before.

March 11, 2017, 09:48:22 AM
Reply #1153
I got to Kakariko Village.  The game's been fun but it hasn't wowed me yet.

March 11, 2017, 11:36:02 PM
Reply #1154
I got to Kakariko Village.  The game's been fun but it hasn't wowed me yet.
How long you been playing for if you don't mind me asking?

March 12, 2017, 01:12:35 AM
Reply #1155
It's impossible to find a place in Mauritius to get the game and Amazing and eBay are shit. So I asked my boyfriend to buy it for me and my parents are gonna bring it back with them next month when they'll go to France.

FFS It's becoming too painful to buy new Nintendo games here.

₪ lllo.
I am a rarity.
Please like my artist FB page here
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 12, 2017, 04:05:48 AM
Reply #1156
I wasn't able to play much during the week due to work and uni, however over weekend I have been able to do quite a bit of stuff in the game, making solid progress on some stuff, spent a while upgrading gear, doing some side-quests ect.

Currently I have stopped playing, got semi-stuck (well not really stuck, just got bored and gave up after two attempts) of the part...

It's impossible to find a place in Mauritius to get the game and Amazing and eBay are shit. So I asked my boyfriend to buy it for me and my parents are gonna bring it back with them next month when they'll go to France.

FFS It's becoming too painful to buy new Nintendo games here.

Is it possible for you buy it digitally? I mean I fully understand that retail is better (I prefer discs whenever I can). But as a last resort, if you're able to download it onto your system then it's better than nothing.

March 12, 2017, 06:35:39 AM
Reply #1157
Is it possible for you buy it digitally? I mean I fully understand that retail is better (I prefer discs whenever I can). But as a last resort, if you're able to download it onto your system then it's better than nothing.
Well I'm not gonna buy every Nintendo games I want digitally :/

₪ lllo.
I am a rarity.

March 12, 2017, 07:08:08 AM
Reply #1158
Okay progress update.

Well I'm not gonna buy every Nintendo games I want digitally :/

True, with the state of Nintendo's online account situation I wouldn't trust buying full massive games directly from them either.
I saw the Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (a game I do want) has dropped in price on the EShop, but I just can't trust them like I can others in order to buy anything over $15.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:55:53 AM by Jack Pipsam »

March 12, 2017, 09:02:28 AM
Reply #1159
Okay progress update.

True, with the state of Nintendo's online account situation I wouldn't trust buying full massive games directly from them either.
I saw the Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (a game I do want) has dropped in price on the EShop, but I just can't trust them like I can others in order to buy anything over $15.
I actually already lost A Link Between Worlds because of their idiotic system. :monster:
Also I didn't mentioned it but also what you said about hard copy.

₪ lllo.
I am a rarity.

March 12, 2017, 09:23:30 AM
Reply #1160
I actually already lost A Link Between Worlds because of their idiotic system. :monster:
Also I didn't mentioned it but also what you said about hard copy.

My personal preference for retail is more to do with my terrible internet speed more than anything else, not to mention I am a vain person who enjoys boxes. The Breath of the Wild box, just looks sweet.
But when I have bought digital games of more expense, with say Steam, Uplay, Origin, Xbox LIVE, ect. I just have more confidence in my purchase about the game.

Sure at any moment they could drop the service and I am buggered, I don't 'own' the game anymore on Steam than I do Wii U due to the nature of purchasing a digital licence instead of a physical productive which by virtue of being physical is instantly covered by many consumer protection laws (if you're lucky enough to live in a country with consumer protection laws).
But Nintendo just doesn't project the same level of confidence their competitors do with the security of your purchase. Even worse when you consider that when the Virtual Console launches, they might want you to purchase Mario 64 for the 64th time.

March 12, 2017, 09:52:34 AM
Reply #1161
Okay progress update.

I hate these flippin' Koroks, man. "Time to pick up a random-ass rock and--OH LOOK A KOROK!" Tch. At this rate, finding all of them is going to be guesswork...I doubt I'll even have half by the time I beat this game.
Discord: ΣJoseph#7143
Nintendo 3DS: 4957-3904-8657
Wii U ID: mariofreak2009

March 12, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
Reply #1162

I hate these flippin' Koroks, man. "Time to pick up a random-ass rock and--OH LOOK A KOROK!" Tch. At this rate, finding all of them is going to be guesswork...I doubt I'll even have half by the time I beat this game.

Yeah, I don't like finding these guys at all. I think I'm just going to look up a guide to their locations eventually.

March 12, 2017, 10:39:52 PM
Reply #1163
Haha, it finally happened. Jim Sterling made it clear on Twitter and podcasts that he was liking but not adoring BotW, and that if he didn't give it a 9.5 or 10, a relatively small but rabid group would lose their mind, and sure enough, DDoS and asinine comments up the wazzoo. A 7/10 is a good score, especially from someone who actually tries to use the whole spectrum. Also, who gives a shit. ::)
I believed in M.A. Larson before it was cool.

The user formerly known as Dinkleberg

I feel like talking about Gurren Lagann for no reason because fuck you

March 12, 2017, 10:52:17 PM
Reply #1164
Haha, it finally happened. Jim Sterling made it clear on Twitter and podcasts that he was liking but not adoring BotW, and that if he didn't give it a 9.5 or 10, a relatively small but rabid group would lose their mind, and sure enough, DDoS and asinine comments up the wazzoo. A 7/10 is a good score, especially from someone who actually tries to use the whole spectrum. Also, who gives a shit. ::)

I assume because the Metacritic dropped from a 98 to 97 and the rabid community is losing its mind because their instead of playing the game, their "perfect game evar!" meme has been ruined.

I think the funniest tweet Jim has given was apologising for the Sonic fandom saying they were never this bad. https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/841117255295500288

March 13, 2017, 09:44:27 AM
Reply #1165

I saw his review had gone up today and my immediate reaction was, "he's going to get so much shit for this".

The guy didn't score Witcher 3 as highly as other reviewers did but even if it's one of my favorite games I'm not going to have a shitfit about it and abuse him online. Seriously who does this.

March 13, 2017, 02:34:34 PM
Reply #1166
I'm watching Jim's new video on BotW right now, and I agree with him 100% on the durability gimmick being too exaggerated to be immersive, to be anything more than a gimmick.

"It's no wonder Hyrule has a constant Ganon problem because they apparently make their swords out of cardboard and spider web. I'm supposed to believe soldiers and knights fight with these things, am I?  People chat about how immersive Breath of the Wild is, but few things are as good at snapping me out of the believability of a world than a thick length of fire forged metal that shatters like glass after it's hit a big lizard in the facea couple of times. [cut] Cause that's the thing about weapon durability, isn't it?  It's not about them suffering wear and tear over time.  It's about them being as hardy as a wet box full of first run X-Box 360s.  It seems 90% of the time it's done, it's taken to some ludicrous extreme.  In truth, they should be called weapon fragility systems, not durability.  There's nothing durable about glorified scrape that counts as weaponry in almost any game that features degradable equipment.  Certainly nothing that comes close to realistic, and I know realism is a shitty argument to use in game design topics but there has to be some grounding."

I think if you had a weapon durability system where 99% of the weapons you find are on the caliber of rusty swords, and you had to wait until near the end of the game to get the good weapons, that would be much more believable, and even then that only the worst weapons ever are what all your enemies are using would stretch suspension of disbelief.

How long you been playing for if you don't mind me asking?

6 or 7 hours.

You're not going to tell me my opinion is invalid because I haven't played long, are you?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:43:01 PM by Andrew »

March 13, 2017, 02:47:16 PM
Reply #1167
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s</a>

1. Agreed 100% on weapon durability. Not mentioned is stamina, which I can always do without.

2. As someone who doesn't use "gamer" as anything more than "people with a fair degree of interest in video games" and nothing more unifying than that, the reaction is STILL enough for me to say gamers can be such srs bsns crying cringelords.

I saw his review had gone up today and my immediate reaction was, "he's going to get so much shit for this".

The guy didn't score Witcher 3 as highly as other reviewers did but even if it's one of my favorite games I'm not going to have a shitfit about it and abuse him online. Seriously who does this.
Right! And besides, like I said, Jim actually makes an effort to give real meaning to the whole 10 point (plus .5s when it's too difficult to decide which whole integer is more appropriate) scale. 7 - Good on his scale actually means good. He gave Witcher 3 an 8.5, and, for reference, FFXV an 8, and he made it clear that he loved XV and that it rekindled his excitement for Final Fantasy.

Of course, more important than the score is the actual review content, which you KNOW a lot of people just skipped over.
I believed in M.A. Larson before it was cool.

The user formerly known as Dinkleberg

I feel like talking about Gurren Lagann for no reason because fuck you

March 13, 2017, 03:40:35 PM
Reply #1168
Off-topic from Jim Sterling or BotW, because I've wanted to post this for a couple days, didn't because of BotW talk, and since this video is only keeping that going, I guess there's no point in waiting.  I finished Zelda II The Adventure of Link, here are my thoughts.

The story of the second Zelda game is its strongest aspect.  Like I said in the What Are You Playing thread, this is probably the most mature and indepth story a game on the original NES had.  A different Princess Zelda has been discovered slumbering in a previously locked off chamber of Hyrule Castle and can only be awakened by unearthing the third piece of the Triforce, the Triforce of Wisdom (the original LoZ only had the pieces of Courage and Power).  Link is the chosen one thanks to a tattoo of the TF appearing on his left hand, which is what finally unlocked Zelda's chambers.  He's off to find these pieces while the remaining forces of the still dead Ganon are out to kill him, to sprinkle his blood (!) on Ganon's ashes to revive him.  It's a servicable story with a lot more intrigue and stakes than the first game's story of bad guy is bad guy, find maguffins to kill him.

The more action rpg elements over the top-down combat from the first I like too.  And when I first played this game I thought thanks to these two good, strong elements that I would really like this game.

The big problem that killed this experience for me was it's difficulty.  Oh, it's infamous difficulty.  In truth, it's really more about how much this game's difficulty wants to anger and inconvenience you than it just being plain old school hard.  As tough as the enemies can get, there is a clear and obvious way to defeat just about any enemy.  All you need to do is learn the right magic, learn the right sword skill, or have enough health or attack power.  In fact, there's a clear sense of growth in being able to easily kill enemies that once gave you so much trouble.  Learn the right moves, be careful and don't rush into things and you can survive large portions of the game without dying.  Thing is, this game is under the impression you ran over it's dog, so it hates you with the power of an exploding sun.  For instance, enemies don't normally respawn.... unless they're the kind of enemies that can drain your EXP, and will respawn as soon as they are killed.  And they will be in rooms where there are several thousand of these enmies, and they will attack you from both sides just to ensure that no matter what you do, you will take a hit and lose EXP. The only way to deal with them is to avoid them all together, which requires you learn the super-jump magic to do.  If you don't have it, gonna hafta lose EXP.  And once you leave the rooms with these EXP sucking enemies, no enemies respawn.

So it breaks its own rules just to screw with you, and it doesn't stick to these new rules, and it only changes when it can MOST inconvenience you.

Once you get to the second half of the game, it's pretty much inconvenience after inconvenience.  All the fun has been sucked out.

I in equal parts love the story of this game and hate it's guts for straight-up torturing the player and sapping itself of fun.

I don't know if I love or hate this game.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:42:52 PM by Andrew »

March 13, 2017, 03:54:45 PM
Reply #1169
The voice acting is still terrible. I think by now I heard acting from the majority of characters who speak and it's all just the worst.

6 or 7 hours.

You're not going to tell me my opinion is invalid because I haven't played long, are you?

Not at all, quite the contrary.
That seems like a fairly reasonable amount to take to getting to Kakariko Village, aka not rushing it.

I would say if the game hasn't improved after ten hours for you, then I am not sure it will at all. I found that not long after Kakariko Village, that the game fell into a rhythm for me even when taking on more interesting tasks and getting better weapons, the core however of what I was doing was the same.
If the core isn't fun for you by then, I am not sure it will become fun later.

Weapon degrading only gets slightly better by virtue of finding stronger weapons, but the core issue remains the same. Progress seems to be made quicker only because you're stronger and have more waypoints, but the core is the same.

I think I have been playing 20+ hours now and I am starting to feel a bit of a slog myself. I got so bored of the Gerudo bit that I quit (which thankfully you can do) and last left it doing stuff in the Lost Woods. But it hit me that I am starting to get sick of the gimmicky nature of some of the trails/shrines.

I am thinking I might leave the game be for a few days before playing it again.

I don't know if I love or hate this game.

I actually think that's a lot of people's opinions on Zelda II. I think the people who outright say they hate it haven't really played it tbh. There is a lot to appreciate about it. It was different, I mean being the second one it was all still new. It's why I am not mad about the Zelda cartoon in all its crazy nature, Zelda was still new at that point in time, so why not have Link talk? Link didn't really become silent as a trait until Ocarina of Time as that would have realistically been the first point where he might have spoken in cutscenes if he was going too.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:20:44 PM by Jack Pipsam »

March 14, 2017, 11:19:24 AM
Reply #1170
So I just beat Breath of the Wild last night. Love the game, but after actually playing it for about a week and a half, I noticed some...issues I have.

End-game spoilers ahead.

Overall, if I had to score it, I'd probably give it an 8.5/10. Lackluster story, lame not-so-satisfying end boss, FPS drops because of explosions and raining death in slow motion, and too much emphasis on an open-world adventure. That being said, I'll probably play BotW a second time through before I play Twilight Princess or Wind Waker again.

Also whoever said Legend of Zelda "needs voice acting"...just, stop. Rethink what you just said. I like british Zelda and all, but no. Voice acting does not work for this. Stop it. Get some help.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:20:27 AM by ΣJoseph »

March 14, 2017, 03:48:02 PM
Reply #1171
My problem with the voice acting is that it's only for exposition.  You're finally brining acting into a main Zelda series.  Use it to bring some life to these characters!

Speaking of the Zelda cartoon, I hate Link and Zelda in that one not for being so different from what future games would portray them as.  I agree with Pipsam that it was early in the series, still defining itself, and it's okay for not following the guidelines of future games.  I hate Link and Zelda in the cartoon because they act like an annoying sitcom couple.

Day 2 of BotW.  I ventured out and explored, mainly trying to find the nearby stable to register my horse.  No luck.  I died a lot.  I'm having more trouble fighting enemies now and I don't know why.  I need more health and better equipment.  My gameplan for tomorrow is to sell most of what I have to get some armor and try to complete some shrines to get more stamina.  I found the shrine nearest Kakariko, the one with a giant bowl and a hole behind a gate.  I figured dropping the bowl into the hole would do.... something.  Nothing happened.  Eeeeh, these shrines are gonna be noggin punters, aren't they?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:54:12 PM by Andrew »

March 14, 2017, 11:41:45 PM
Reply #1172
I hate Link and Zelda in the cartoon because they act like an annoying sitcom couple.

I kinda have a soft spot for it. I mean I never grew up with it, so it's just a novel thing which I can look at for me.
The idea that Link is a egotistical douche and Zelda is no-nonsense and sick of his crap I think is kinda fantastic. It's so over the top and ridiculous, particularly compared to the rest of the Zelda series I cannot help but have a good time.

I mean the saddest part of it all though is, they still have the most personality of any version of Link ever and Zelda until Wind Waker.

March 21, 2017, 01:50:42 AM
Reply #1173
Looks at game completion percentage
Oh what's th-...only 34% done!? Even though I've found all the shrines, obtained every photo, even got the most out of the end credits...?! ??? Well, shoot...I've a long, long, long ways to go...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:51:48 AM by ΣJoseph »

April 17, 2017, 01:32:56 AM
Reply #1174
I know I'm super late but I finally managed to get BOTW (last Friday). I was so excited, but I didn't think I would love it so much! I haven't had such fun with video games for a long time, I can't stop playing!
Last night I accidentally killed one of my fave horse, I didn't know they could die omfg. I felt so bad lol

Anyway, I played a lot but I'm still early in the game story, I'm only at the second Divine Beast (Rudania). I've stopped the main quest to explore the land, because that's my fave thing :monster:
I also think the cutscenes you have with your memories is extremely well-thought, because you can watch them in any order and it won't spoil you the other scenes. I love the story with Zelda, it's very different from what we are used to.

Oh and I like that it reminds me of Shadow of Mordor with the towers and stuff, since I also loved that game!

₪ lllo.
I am a rarity.