Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Is G1 Good?  (Read 2930 times)

February 14, 2013, 11:42:54 AM
I thought that I heard that G1 was just horrible crap like G3 but, apparently there are more than a few fans of the show. I think some people here said they like it. What's good about it?  Is it just a nostalgia thing or is it actually good? Is it like FiM? I've never seen it, should I watch it?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:50:22 AM by Grumpy Enchantress »

Signatures by Destinae Spark, SuperBrony6, and Salnalus. Avatar by Mariopaint. :D

You truly are the quintessential Pinkie Pie fan, your so much like her.

Bad taste in butts is unforgivable  :caramad

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

February 14, 2013, 12:33:45 PM
Reply #1
G1 varies wildly in quality.  The animation isn't all that great in the series itself as it was bottom the barrel even for the 80's (Hasbro was putting their money to driving Transformers and G.I. Joe into the ground and funded MLP and Friends with whatever money they found under the sofa cushions.)  I judge the episodes more on the writing.  Going by that...

The first two specials are good with the very first special being unapologetically awesome.  The characters of the first special were also developed by the people being the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, and I really wish they had used that style all the way through.

The movie suffers from massive pacing issues and an unwillingness to be about anything.  It's got some funny scenes and is as watchable as any other movie Hasbro made at the time.  The animation started going downhill here which is a shame since the style was beautiful.  However, ponies in the wrong places was rampant and they never bothered to finish the Twinkle Eye ponies' eyes.

As for the series itself.
I would watch the episodes written by Michael Reaves (The Return of Tambelon, The Magic Coins, The Quest of the Princess Ponies, Flight to Cloud Castle) as well as Crunch the Rock Dog by Linda Woolverton.  They're the series at its best.  You can also watch the episodes written by David Wise (The Revolt of Paradise Estate, The Magic Door, and the episode starring the Big Brother Ponies no one remembers the actual name of) if you to see some really weird crap.
Signature in need of ideas at the moment.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

February 14, 2013, 02:41:45 PM
Reply #2
I understand that G1 had some redeeming qualities, though I'm not sure what...

But G3, I hear nothing but bad things about that. The only time I see G3 fans emerge is when somepony is tearing it a new one.

TOO MANY FLUTTERSHYING CONS

February 14, 2013, 08:36:18 PM
Reply #3
I've personally never watched G1, but i've watched G3 movies like "Princess Promenade".

:scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank :scootablank

February 14, 2013, 09:59:59 PM
Reply #4
Well I divide G1 into two categories.

Rescue At Midnight Castle - Great, awesome.

The rest - okay, some episodes better than others.

February 15, 2013, 05:07:23 AM
Reply #5
G1 is pretty good. Al explains it better than I would. ^^

The only G3 movie I've seen fully is Runaway Rainbow, and I enjoyed it. I even bought the DVD a little while ago. :)

February 15, 2013, 10:28:47 AM
Reply #6
People seem to like the villains (Why not? The good guys are mostly as interesting as dry toast). Occasionally screens pop up on Derpibooru that look interesting, then I remember how hard the specials and movie were to sit through.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:29:44 AM by Mele Kalikimaka »

February 16, 2013, 07:53:08 PM
Reply #7
I watched Rescue at Midnight Castle and it was maybe the best MLP thing of all.
I don't remember if I even watched Escape From Katrina, that's how memorable it was. The movie had some memorable bits (witches trying to turn Dream Valley back to the harsh Dungeons & Dragons world it was before the ponies carved out a happy sugar land!) but was no Midnight Castle.
There was also an episode whose title I can't remember where the ponies have to stop the racist penguin king from freezing Dream Valley. RACIST PENGUIN KING.

February 16, 2013, 08:32:56 PM
Reply #8
There was also an episode whose title I can't remember where the ponies have to stop the racist penguin king from freezing Dream Valley. RACIST PENGUIN KING.

Baby its cold out or something like that.
Now I pulled myself together, had a little chat
With my empty bottle, and this little cat
He'd been hiding, he'd been there for a while
Well I told him how I missed you how you made me feel
And even though that cat wasn't real
He cheered me up and he made me smile

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.”
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
Missy Dizick

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."
Ancient Proverb

February 16, 2013, 09:41:16 PM
Reply #9
I watched Rescue at Midnight Castle and it was maybe the best MLP thing of all.
I don't remember if I even watched Escape From Katrina, that's how memorable it was. The movie had some memorable bits (witches trying to turn Dream Valley back to the harsh Dungeons & Dragons world it was before the ponies carved out a happy sugar land!) but was no Midnight Castle.
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET MAB LIBS WRITE YOUR SCRIPT FOR YOU!

February 22, 2013, 04:07:40 AM
Reply #10
I say G1 is okay, not spectacular mind you but okay.
For 1980's standards its average, but man it has not aged well.
Sure the 80s were known as the age of cheap animation but G1 of MLP was near the bottom of the pot.
"Joy is a weakness, and weakness will get you killed Spike" - SF Debris on Twilight Sparkle

"Every story needs a good old fashioned villain" - Jim Moriarity

February 22, 2013, 05:12:18 AM
Reply #11
I've said they funded the MLP cartoon with whatever change they found under the sofa cushions.  They were too busy driving Transformers and G.I. Joe into the ground to invest in My Little Pony and Friends.
Signature in need of ideas at the moment.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code
0130-2037-5404

February 22, 2013, 11:40:44 AM
Reply #12
I say G1 is okay, not spectacular mind you but okay.
For 1980's standards its average, but man it has not aged well.
Sure the 80s were known as the age of cheap animation but G1 of MLP was near the bottom of the pot.
I'm starting to realize that the 80's cartoons were...yeah.

There was even a gag about 80's nostalgia in a Cracked Photoshop contest, where there was a DVD cover with all the cartoons on it. ANd the warning label said "Warning: Not as good as you remember".

It got bashed a lot since it took a jab at bronies and that overshadowed everything else, but it's very true.

March 02, 2013, 11:45:34 AM
Reply #13
G1 is okay but G3 sucks.

August 13, 2013, 06:09:25 PM
Reply #14
Coming from someone who enjoyed the show from her youth, the G1 cartoon really didn't age all that well. But, that doesn't mean it's bad all-around. The TV specials are probably the only decent things to come out of it. The movie is pretty trashy, but it does have its moments. For the show, same opinion as the movie.

Overall, despite being really dated, the G1 cartoon is still watchable. It's not as bad as the G3 crap.

September 14, 2013, 08:10:09 AM
Reply #15
I've watched it before and it's...

not that great.

September 14, 2013, 01:07:12 PM
Reply #16
I love Midnight Castle too.

September 15, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
Reply #17
Seen some, it's tolerable... At some moments can pass as a G4 prototype...
Missing....

October 09, 2013, 10:06:35 PM
Reply #18
I find it boring, but much better than MLP G3.5.

I can at least get through an episode of G1 without having the urge to bang my head against the wall.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:13:20 PM by SuperNESBrony »

February 07, 2017, 04:43:11 PM
Reply #19
I also love Rescue At Midnight Castle.

March 16, 2017, 02:02:35 PM
Reply #20
It's watchable. But it's from the 80s. Cartoons from then weren't necessarily the best imo.

July 06, 2017, 02:31:35 AM
Reply #21
I like G1, judging by what little I've seen of it, which consists of two movies and a couple episodes. I thought the characters were fun and the movie songs weren't bad at all. Some of it had a little bit of an edge, which was nice to see and unexpected.
It's a lot better than G3, which, to me, is such pap that I gag on almost every scene. They really needed to read some of those scripts before they okayed them for production. I know the target audience was little kids, but little kids aren't that undemanding! I appreciate the fact of G3 without particularly liking the finished product.
I haven't really seen any of G2, but I'd be curious to give it a look.   

July 12, 2017, 12:40:37 AM
Reply #22
I haven't really seen any of G2, but I'd be curious to give it a look.

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no G2 cartoons.

The only media adaptation G2 ever received was a PC game, unfortunately.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

July 12, 2017, 02:25:47 AM
Reply #23
Sorry to disappoint, but there's no G2 cartoons.

The only media adaptation G2 ever received was a PC game, unfortunately.

Whattt?? No cartoons? I've been living in a world of lies!!!  :'(

July 12, 2017, 09:20:41 AM
Reply #24
Whattt?? No cartoons? I've been living in a world of lies!!!  :'(

I know, it sucks. I really like the look of G2s, so it's sad that they were never animated.

G1's got another cartoon though, My Little Pony Tales. Instead of fantasy like the first one was, it's slice-of-life. Happened during the very end of G1. It featured brand new characters who hadn't even previously existed in toy form, although toys of them did end up getting made and were sold, but only overseas.

I want Bright Eyes' toy some day, I really like the interesting color scheme she has.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]