15 (30.6%)
Not good or bad.
3 (6.1%)
Not that good at all
1 (2%)
Terrible!  Don't watch this!
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 1x09 - Bridle Gossip  (Read 13088 times)

September 01, 2011, 09:36:23 AM
Reply #75
I agree. The episode was very handled overall. Now if we could just get more of Zecora in the episodes. Seriously, what's the point of introducing a character in need of overcoming boundries when you're not going to make any further use of her.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage

September 04, 2011, 08:59:03 PM
Reply #76
I agree. The episode was very handled overall. Now if we could just get more of Zecora in the episodes. Seriously, what's the point of introducing a character in need of overcoming boundries when you're not going to make any further use of her.
Well, Zecora appeared briefly in Swarm of the Century, and she's had a mention in Stare Master, so the writers haven't forgotten her. Hopefully she'll show up a couple of times in season 2.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<3[/spoiler]

September 05, 2011, 01:29:13 AM
Reply #77
Mentioned in stare master? Where?

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Dying in a plane crash.

September 05, 2011, 02:08:45 AM
Reply #78
Mentioned in stare master? Where?

Twilight says something like "I was just going to Zecora's, to pick up some of my favorite herbal tea.". I know there was tea involved.

I have no interest in terminal illness romances as a category. I saw someone else describe them as "like watching a puppy playing through the scope of a sniper rifle"

What is next? Yelling “fire” at a theatre or trying to get Westboro Baptist protesters INSIDE the funeral home?

September 05, 2011, 03:30:17 AM
Reply #79
Yeah..That was why she was in Everfree Forest in the 1st place after all.

September 05, 2011, 03:57:15 PM
Reply #80
Ah. Been a while since i've seen that episode.

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Dying in a plane crash.

November 12, 2011, 12:56:42 AM
Reply #81
Although I haven't seen many episodes, this is actually the first one I saw. I thought Zecora was a dude. lol

November 12, 2011, 04:12:26 AM
Reply #82
This episode ranks for me as one of the most amusing of the entire series.  I think that the 'curses' were a stroke of genius, and I liked how they delivered on the moral of the story, which isn't necessarily an easy task to explain to younger people.  With that said it was also nice to see Zecora make a return in season 2 with more screentime in Luna Eclipsed, though it would still be nice to see her in more supporting roles.  She's a great character that could certainly be utilised more, but only if the plot permits it.

In the spoiler below, wonderful art by the one, the only, the beautiful and ever so talented - Vay

November 17, 2011, 10:41:51 PM
Reply #83
Well, S2 has been having a lot of love for Zecora, so now we no longer need to question her lack of appearances.

November 18, 2011, 12:14:29 PM
Reply #84
Zecora's lack of appearances after her minor role in Swarm of the Century was one of my few disappointments with Season 1; I enjoyed her scenes a lot and she is both a very creative and very unique character. That she's made two appearances in Season 2 already, both of them somewhat notable, is a very reassuring sign that these one-shot characters haven't all been forgotten, and I'm up for her making further appearances if the plot permits it. I'd still love to see a Zecora-centric episode at some point, where we might get the chance to see some other zebras and better understand their ties (or lack thereof) to the rest of Equestria.

November 18, 2011, 01:19:26 PM
Reply #85
Zecora's lack of appearances after her minor role in Swarm of the Century was one of my few disappointments with Season 1; I enjoyed her scenes a lot and she is both a very creative and very unique character. That she's made two appearances in Season 2 already, both of them somewhat notable, is a very reassuring sign that these one-shot characters haven't all been forgotten, and I'm up for her making further appearances if the plot permits it. I'd still love to see a Zecora-centric episode at some point, where we might get the chance to see some other zebras and better understand their ties (or lack thereof) to the rest of Equestria.

I think you're right in that it would be pleasant for her to make a welcome return if the plot permits it, and I think the writers so far in the second season have done a commendable job of not shoehorning characters to fit a role.  Zecora was one of those characters from the first season I was really eager to see more of, but I think that all her appearances so far have been really well judged and timed.  Her minor role in Swarm of the Century was notable for me at least because it showed of her considerable and extensive knowledge from a very small scene, and perhaps hinted at previous experiences she may have had in the past.  I think I'd like to see more of her, but as to how a centric episode around her would function, it makes me wonder how they would approach the subject matter from the get go.

In the spoiler below, wonderful art by the one, the only, the beautiful and ever so talented - Vay

November 18, 2011, 01:30:06 PM
Reply #86
I think you're right in that it would be pleasant for her to make a welcome return if the plot permits it, and I think the writers so far in the second season have done a commendable job of not shoehorning characters to fit a role.  Zecora was one of those characters from the first season I was really eager to see more of, but I think that all her appearances so far have been really well judged and timed.  Her minor role in Swarm of the Century was notable for me at least because it showed of her considerable and extensive knowledge from a very small scene, and perhaps hinted at previous experiences she may have had in the past. I think I'd like to see more of her, but as to how a centric episode around her would function, it makes me wonder how they would approach the subject matter from the get go.

As long as they didn't let Dave Polsky tackle the episode and its, ah... implications, then I have full confidence that they'd manage to deliver a very endearing and powerful story. ;)

(For the record, I like both of Polsky's episodes, but given that his morals seem to very much split opinion and he's already stirred up religious and colonialism arguments with his two episodes, maybe it's best that he keeps away from racial topics for now...!)

I don't know how likely a Zecora-centric episode may be, but I'd almost put her in a similar category to Big MacIntosh; she's a recurring secondary character who has had several ties with the mane cast, and I think there's enough of a basis there to build a story if they so wished. I'm not really sure what the moral could be, especially if it took advantage of being centred around Zecora rather than being something that could be applied to anypony else; we don't really need a repeat of Luna Eclipsed and Zecora is already accepted by the pony community. As far as a relationship being developed I feel it'd be safest to explore Zecora's relations with her own kin, as this is a blank slate and would allow us a chance to see why Zecora chose to isolate herself in the Everfree Forest, perhaps... it's a long shot but the show has surprised us many times before... Depending on how long the show runs for there's plenty of potential in these tiny little character moments, which the writers could choose to exploit at a later date if they so wished.

November 18, 2011, 02:36:01 PM
Reply #87
Aww, poor Dave Polsky...  :P I've not had that many issues with the episodes he's produced so far, though I suppose it's difficult to overlook some of those arguments, specifically when they deal with very charged subject matter.  Still, Feeling Pinkie Keen was still one of the most amusing episodes of the first season, so he can always count on my respect for that.

I can certainly empathise with you in that I'd not want to see him trusted with an episode like this, as if there was one created to explore the background of a character like Zecora, or for that matter Big Mac, I'd have to appeal for Amy Keating Rogers or M. A. Larson to helm it.  As you've pointed out though, there are several avenues of approach for the writers to take if they wanted to write about an episode in that fashion, and as you said, it would have to be fresh rather than simply attempting to garner the fans with a repeat of what could only be considered a Luna Eclipsed.  It would be appropriate though, should they choose to explore her background, to give us an insight into her family life, as well as why her character acts as she does.  It would be entertaining to see them present a different pony culture from that of Equestria, though I would sincerely hope that they don't make all the ponies rhyme, because for Zecora it carries a certain charm that I feel would otherwise be ruined.  I think there is the potential for an episode like this, but there is I suppose precious little time within the season with which to accomplish this, so they have to make the most of what they have available.

December 23, 2011, 03:53:03 PM
Reply #88
I really love this episode and I think this would also be a very good episode to show to those who think the show's girly and boring.

I hated the way everyone treated Zecora, Fantastic Racism indeed, but Twilight's behavior more than makes up for it.

Her facial expressions were just priceless. Also, when she started being sarcastic when the other ponies told her the "evil" things they saw Zecora do, I was reminded once again why I love Twilight Sparkle so much.

I'm pretty sure Twilight Sparkle was supposed to be the audience surrogate anyway and the writers deliberately exaggerated the reactions of Twilight's friends to make the target audience, children, immediately laugh at how ridiculous the ponies were behaving.
Therefore children, and also adults of course, will see that racism is bad, ridiculous and unfounded, which is certainly a lesson many adults have yet to learn and may probably never learn.

I also tend to be as sceptical as Twilight when it comes to such things, so I can really empathize with her in this episode.

After rewatching this episode, I noticed how funny Pinkie really is and I must admit that she has become my second favorite character now. She's responsible for some of the funniest scenes of this episode.
Although the way the other ponies behave at the beginning is rather annoying, she at least manages to be really funny while doing so. "Glance evilly this way" "The evil way she eats hay" lol, she's just so adorable.

Things really get funny once the Mane cast is affected by the poison joke. Pinkie trying to speak while her tongue hangs out and Fluttershy having this deep jazz-like man voice (Flutterguy) is hilarious, especially when she starts singing Pinkie's "Evil Enchantress" song in this voice.

I also really like Applebloom in this one. She's definitely my favorite CMS and I'm happy that she isn't as biased towards strangers as Applejack and the others are.

Of course, as everyone probably expected, Zecora turns out to be good after all and another friendship lesson is learned. I think this is one of the best episodes, everything's just about right with this episode.

As I said, the only thing that annoys me is how afraid everypony is of Zecora, completely disregarding her true character just because she looks strange and does some strange things. But maybe it was necessary that they did the message in such a heavy-handed manner. The show is aimed toward children after all and when the message is as important as this one you may have to be quite "anvilicious" to get the message across in the end. So they deliberately exaggerated the way the ponies reacted to Zecora to make it look ridiculous even for younger viewers.

But apart from that I just loved this episode. :lol:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:57:19 PM by Ecthudan »

December 23, 2011, 03:57:39 PM
Reply #89
Not in my top 10 but very funny.

The best parts was with Applejack doing a Mario shrink.  :P

September 26, 2013, 07:11:58 PM
Reply #90
EqD posts about Bridle Gossip:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/966-days-of-pony-look-before-you-sleep.html

I, eh...  I don't like this episode.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just that I just plain don't like it in general.  I don't like how the ponies assume the worst about Zecora, but that's the point.  I don't like how they talk over and treat Apple Bloom like a little baby, even though they have a right to be concerned about her and it's easy to assume she'd be in over her head.  I don't like how Twilight, the more rational thinker of the group, succumbs to her friends beliefs on Zecora, and I especially don't like how she goes "there's no such thing as curses", even though the word "curse" is used quite a bit after this episode to describe evil magic (i.e. King Sombra's magic in The Crystal Empire), not to mention I have a hard time telling what makes curses/hexes/etc. any less "real" then the "real" magic she creates, especially when it's shown later on (specifically in Magic Duel) that apparently Zecora IS an enchantress...  just not an evil one. ::)

Ugh, I really can't think of reasons to justify my dislike for this episode, just that I honestly don't care for it and would rather not have to watch it again if I could.