39 (49.4%)
About average
3 (3.8%)
Could have been a lot better
1 (1.3%)
JFC!  This episode sucks!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1x16 - Sonic Rainboom  (Read 18934 times)

December 25, 2012, 11:39:19 PM
Reply #150
Greatly loved this episode, and props to the Icarus reference! I really didn't realize that until now, haha.

I like how RD performs her Sonic Rainbooms when she's doing it for her friends, like that other instance when she's racing for Fluttershy's sake, or offering help to destroy Applejack's barnhouse [that WAS a Sonic Rainboom, right...? :P] It just adds to her being the Element of Loyalty and all.  :P

Plus the fact that she didn't hesitate once when she decided to save Rarity than to win.  ;)

December 25, 2012, 11:46:28 PM
Reply #151
Greatly loved this episode, and props to the Icarus reference! I really didn't realize that until now, haha.

I like how RD performs her Sonic Rainbooms when she's doing it for her friends, like that other instance when she's racing for Fluttershy's sake, or offering help to destroy Applejack's barnhouse [that WAS a Sonic Rainboom, right...? :P] It just adds to her being the Element of Loyalty and all.  :P

Plus the fact that she didn't hesitate once when she decided to save Rarity than to win.  ;)

Unnecessary bump is unnecessary. And no, the barn thing was in Lesson Zero, and the race was in The Cutie Mark Chronicles.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

December 26, 2012, 12:35:57 AM
Reply #152
Unnecessary bump is unnecessary. And no, the barn thing was in Lesson Zero, and the race was in The Cutie Mark Chronicles.

oh, teehee, sorry, I kinda digressed in that Sonic Rainboom part. I just put in the other instances when she also did that in the other eps :)

December 26, 2012, 12:04:31 PM
Reply #153
Fantastic episode, but I need to rewatch it. It's been a while since I've seen it.
I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence

I am Earthbound I'm an RPG I'm the second game in a set of three. 

Duck thinks you are super awesome.

Nope nope nope nope nope so much nope

December 26, 2012, 08:37:27 PM
Reply #154
Actually watched yesterday thanks to "random.org", since I was too lazy to chose what episode to watch myself. Probably one of my faves from season 1.
3DS Friendcode:
2320-6225-0063
EqF Discord Server

Show By Rock!! ID: 784396951
Add me or something.

My Lobi Profile

Your mother was chair making tools. :monster:
[/quote]
goes sleepy*
[/center]
[/spoiler]

December 26, 2012, 08:58:46 PM
Reply #155
Actually watched yesterday thanks to "random.org", since I was too lazy to chose what episode to watch myself. Probably one of my faves from season 1.
Well, I just rewarded it, and enjoyed it more than Wonderbolts Academy. The characters just shinned here. I loved each and every one of them in this episode, because they had a role in this episode. I still love Wonderbolt accademy.
I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence

I am Earthbound I'm an RPG I'm the second game in a set of three. 

Duck thinks you are super awesome.

Nope nope nope nope nope so much nope

January 02, 2013, 07:21:41 AM
Reply #156
i totally love rainbow Dash and this episode really showed what she is capable of it is absolutely one the best!!    :)
i cant hide, i cant run, because its impossible to run from your shadow

October 03, 2013, 08:33:25 PM
Reply #157
EqD post about Sonic Rainboom:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/1666-days-of-pony-sonic-rainboom.html

This is a really good episode.  Not one of my favorites, but one I'll gladly re-watch anytime.  I like the animation, I like seeing Cloudsdale, like like what Rainbow Dash goes through and what she accomplishes...  Really, this episode helps hint at how her overblown bravado is more stemmed with a deep desire to make sure everyone thinks she's great, and has more subtle self-esteem issues.  She's kind of like Fluttershy, though instead of sulking and perpetuating her own self-doubt, Rainbow Dash tries to prove she's better and actively fights back against nay-sayers.  In this episode, though, she doesn't really have anything to fight back with other then showing she can do a Sonic Rainboom, which she's failed to do many times.  It's enough to make her a nervous wreck, not helped when Rarity shows up.

Ah yes, Rarity...  Shame that after Suited for Success showed us how good she can be, this episode probably ruined a lot of goodwill she earned in that episode for a lot of people.  Ironically, it was because of her selflessness and desire to help others that lead her to her vanity getting the best of her, to the point where she completely forgets why she got her wings in the first place.  Still, she learns her lesson in the end, and even helps Rainbow Dash win the Best Young Flyers Competition by falling to her death due to her own inflated ego.

Another criticism I had is that of the Wonderbolts.  They're Rainbow Dash's heroes and said to be the best of the best flyers in Equestria, yet this episode starts a trend of the Wonderbolts showing up, and either doing nothing to help a disaster, or failing in the process...  It's gotten so bad for me, that their supposed expert flying skills border on being an Informed Ability at this point.

But other then that, I've got no problems with this episode.  Really solid stuff!

October 06, 2013, 11:52:51 AM
Reply #158
I LOVE THIS EPISODE! It seriously is what made me love MLP FiM  :D (Well this episode and candy colored ponies. *squee*)  :D :D

October 07, 2013, 12:25:38 AM
Reply #159
Ah yes, Rarity...  Shame that after Suited for Success showed us how good she can be, this episode probably ruined a lot of goodwill she earned in that episode for a lot of people.  Ironically, it was because of her selflessness and desire to help others that lead her to her vanity getting the best of her, to the point where she completely forgets why she got her wings in the first place.  Still, she learns her lesson in the end, and even helps Rainbow Dash win the Best Young Flyers Competition by falling to her death due to her own inflated ego.

I don't think it exactly ruined her character in the long run, because it more or less explores into what her character is like. Example? Sweet and elite. another episode in which Rarity is portrayed exactly as such and one might argue that the episode's lesson feels more like a cupout than a lesson.
But the point isn't to make her a paragon of generosity, it is meant to make her more relatable to people. The more relatable characters aren't the ones that are perfect, but instead the ones that have their share of flaws.

Another criticism I had is that of the Wonderbolts.  They're Rainbow Dash's heroes and said to be the best of the best flyers in Equestria, yet this episode starts a trend of the Wonderbolts showing up, and either doing nothing to help a disaster, or failing in the process...  It's gotten so bad for me, that their supposed expert flying skills border on being an Informed Ability at this point.

But other then that, I've got no problems with this episode.  Really solid stuff!

I really don't see why this is important tbh. How rainbow Dash perceives them doesn't matter in their own universe, because, her perspective is basically that of a Fan, not the one of a close relative. So, whatever she thinks can simply be a product of her own imagination and perception of what she thinks her "heroes" are like, which could arguably end up being the more mature and subtle theme that FIM could touch upon without focusing too much on it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:26:54 AM by toxicitzi »

[/spoiler]

January 10, 2016, 03:30:54 PM
Reply #160
So, at the end of the episode, when Rarity is apologising for her actions to the other ponies, Applejack says "Don't worry about it, kiddo".

Evidence that AJ is older than Rarity, maybe? :monster:

January 10, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
Reply #161
Just listen to this line:

Fluttershy: But, Rainbow Dash. Just because you've failed the sonic rainboom a hundred thousand times in practice doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in front of an entire stadium, full of impatient, super-critical sportsfan ponies.

That's the exact same gag Pinkie pulled on Fluttershy in "Filli Vanilli", prompting seething rage in fans and (IIRC) actual hatemail to Amy Keating Rogers.

Why can Fluttershy herself get away with it?
OC descriptions here
Using my fancy mathematics to model the issues since 2013.